Halliwells takes its name from Herbert Theodore Halliwell, a Barrister and Solicitor who commenced practice in Hawera in February 1896 in offices situated on Princess Street on a site adjoining the then new Post Office.
Herbert Halliwell was born in Australia and educated in Dunedin. At 15 years of age, he was dux of the Otago High School. At 21, he passed his law examinations achieving second place to the 56 graduating candidates. He first worked for Duncan & Macgregor in Dunedin, and then spent several years in Palmerston North as managing clerk for Mr J Herbert Hankins. Herbert Halliwell practiced in Hawera from 1896 until the mid-1920s when he and his family moved to Auckland.
The Regent Street offices were purpose built in 1903. Since its founding, the firm has undergone numerous name changes to reflect the various partners over time. In 1985, the practice returned to the original naming, rebranding as Halliwells. The name chosen to maintain a strong sense of identity to its historical origins.
Ken Horner (Principal) follows in his grandfather’s and father’s footsteps as third generation Lawyer in the firm. Ken is sole practitioner and has owned Halliwells since April 2009. Assisting him are Preston Bulfin (Consultant), Lochlainn Basford (Staff Solicitor) and a group of ten experienced staff members.